Bradi & Maria's Art History Cartoon

Art History

Sunday, July 1, 2007

Adolescent Literacy: Chapters 11-13

These chapters brought me back to when I was in high school....I loved to write. Any extra moment I had, I was creating something having to do with words and incorporating writing into my works of art: paintings, sculptures and especially photography. However, throughout high school, I remember my teachers always pushing me to rethink my thoughts, edit, revise, correct, and in the end my writing became their writing (if you know what I mean). They pushed me too far. I believe that if my teachers had not made us write so many research papers and allowed for several creative writing pieces as well then I would not feel so bitter about this topic. However, in the end I still love to write and express my thoughts.

I have also seen through my student teaching what not teaching correct spelling can do to students. In my art classroom, students were constantly asking if they spelled words within their creative writing assignments correctly. I have so many mixed feelings on this subject.
I promise as a teacher that I will let my student's voice be heard in their writing because it should not always be about following the rules. Freedom within writing is good. I love to combine writing and art.

No comments: